Home » Recipes » IPA, Recipes » First Homebrew Batch In Several Years

First Homebrew Batch In Several Years

A few months ago my wife and I finished renovating our house. It was quite an ordeal but well worth it. To celebrate the completion and to say thanks to all our friends and family that helped out we decided to throw a little party. By no coincidence we scheduled the party to coincide with the aging of my first batch of homebrew. I figured this would be a good way to get unbiased feedback and suggestions. The stage was set. If they liked it they would go back for more if the didn’t they would leave half empty glasses sitting all over the house. Well, it was a hit. Woohooo!

Since I am partial to IPA’s (as are many of my friends) the first batch was of course an IPA. It is a very simple recipe suitable for anybody just starting out.

2 Cans (6.6 lbs)            Munton’s Light Malt Extract

1 lbs.                            Munton’s Extra Light Malt Extract (Dry)

½ lbs.                          Crystal Malt

2 oz.                             Kent Goldings Hops (Boil)

1 oz.                             Simcoe Hops (Finishing)

1 Pack                          Ale Yeast

1 Cup                           Priming Sugar

Add 1.5 gallons of cold water to your large brewing pot. Put the crystal malt into a steeping sock and add it to the water. If you don’t have a steeping sock don’t worry. Just throw the crystal malt into the water. Bring to a boil. Once the water boils remove the crystal malt (use a kitchen strainer if necessary). Now, stir in your malt extracts being careful not to let it settle on the bottom and get scorched. Add the Kent Goldings hops and let boil for 45 minutes. Add the Simcoe hops during the last 2 minutes of the boil. Remove from the heat and transfer your mixture (wort) to the 3.5 gallons of cold water in your fermenting container. Let this cool roughly room temperature. I set mine in an ice bath in the kitchen sink. Once it’s cooled add the yeast. Now seal it up, add your air lock and store it in a dark cool place. The fermentation process takes about a week. Once fermentation is complete, bottle and let it age.

When it was popped open last night it had been aging in the bottles for two week. Luckily, I had the foresight (or selfishness) to hold back a few bottle for myself for later on. I can’t wait to try it after it’s been aging for three weeks. This recipe worked very well. I will definitely be brewing this one again. I may try to tweak the hops a bit next time to get a little more bitterness. That’s just my personal taste.

So, there it is….my first batch of homebrew since coming off of my little hiatus. I have another batch on the way. It is a lighter pilsner style of beer. Great for the hot days of summer. Stay tuned.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *